Mission and Education Philosophy
To educate and inspire leadership in health outcome centric clinical practice by embracing cultural and social accountability and a commitment to the integrative practice of medicine.
Roadmap to Our Future
AUIS has a vision for a healthier world through building a foundation of physicians trained in the integrative practice of medicine. Every day, the faculty and staff of AUIS School of Medicine work collaboratively and tirelessly to secure a future in which everyone enjoys a healthy life.
Our aspiration is to:
- Be recognized as a center of excellence in medical education
- To lead in the development of cohesive clinical care physicians
- To lead in the teaching of cohesive clinical care, combining the disciplined integration of western allopathic medicine and quantifiable healing modalities from the various cultures of the world into a singular comprehensive health delivery system
- Medical education to include principles and practices of integrative medicine by training medical students in evidence-based complementary and alternative modalities in addition to traditional modern medicine.
- To produce real world health professionals with fiscal and social accountability in health care delivery. To teach true sustainability through practice and development of sustainable utilization of resources and infrastructure.
- Creating excellence in people while embracing diversity to create an environment where all people feel included, valued, celebrated and respected.
- Developing a collaborative organizational culture through strategic alliances with institutions and organizations that align in philosophy. Promotion of a culture that fosters a collaborative, respectful, diverse and effective organization at all levels.
- Provide leadership in academic medicine, shape and create a healthcare environment that better services patient diversity with personalized healthcare delivery.
- Clinical and education research to increase the scope and quality of our research.
- Expand the strategic use of innovative technology to enhance learning opportunity.
Values, Virtues and Principles
The following ideals are central to the practice of medicine and it is anticipated that AUIS medical students will strive to:
Respect the dignity and intrinsic value of every individual, regardless of race, ethnicity, national origin, age, gender, socio-economic background, sexual orientation, religious belief, or political affiliation.
Respect faculty, fellow students, patients, and other individuals interacting with the medical school community.
Place the interests and needs of others, especially the sick and the disadvantaged, above self-interest. Understand that the ability to share in the experiences of others – especially, the suffering of the sick which is critical to the work of healing.
Speak and act in ways that testify to, and support our values and principles.
Recognize that care for patients demands the integration and coordination of the talents, knowledge, and skills of all members of the health care team.
Be willing to accept and acknowledge shortcomings, as well as successes.
Commit oneself to responsibility and accountability for both current and lifelong learning.
Endeavor to improve knowledge and skill, both within and beyond the learning environment.
Acknowledge the limits of both science and practice, and continuously work to expand those limits.